Allied Health Professionals
The Physiotherapists provide cover to both Hospice Units and cover the day services at the Victoria Hospice. Similar to physiotherapists in other areas we assess and treat a range of issues including respiratory, functional, mobility, neurological and orthopaedic problems. The Physiotherapists are also specialists in Lymphoedema for the Hospital so assess and treat patients for Lymphoedema. Physiotherapists within palliative care work towards improving the quality of life of the patient, improving where possible and maintaining independence and by working with the person and their family aim to achieve the person’s goals no matter how small they are.
Occuptational Therapy (OT) is a health care profession based on the knowledge that purposeful activity promotes health and wellbeing. The things we do describe who we are and how we feel about ourselves; when the ability to carry out our normal activity is compromised by illness it can affect physical, psychological and emotional wellbeing. The aim of OT assessment and intervention is to enable people to continue to engage in their desired activities and to carry out their life roles, within the limitations of their illness and functional changes.
In Palliative Care, OT interventions are based on what is important to the individual and a problem solving approach is used to anticipate functional difficulties and avoid crisis. A person centred approach is used to set activity related goals to optimise and improve quality of life and help people to achive a sense of control. As end of life approaches intervention often focuses on supporting families as their carer role intensifies.
Assessments and Interventions may include:
- Optimising functional ability in activities of daily living
- Lifestyle management - including assisting people and their families/carers make informed decisions regarding preferred place of care/preferred place of death.
- Symptom management - including fatigue, breathlessness, anxiety
- Seating assessment - including assessment for/provision of wheelchairs
- Provision of assistive equipment
- Environmental Assessment
- Discharge planning - including rapid discharge for end of life care at home
- Referrals to/liaison with community services
The OT Team cover both Hospice Units, the Victoria Day Services and are an integral part of the Hospital Palliative Care Team in the Victoria Hospital.