This Specialist Physiotherapy Team provides Assessment and Treatment to any adult with a Learning Disability, who is unable to access mainstream Physiotherapy services by reason of their Learning Disability.
The team are based at Lynebank Hospital, but provide a Fife-Wide service.
We aim to enable the client to be as independent as possible by improving mobility, movement and function, where necessary advising on appropriate equipment.
We practise an open referral system and indications for referral may include the following:
- Movement and Mobility Problems
- Orthopaedic conditions and soft tissue injuries
- Posture, seating and positioning problems including pressure care issues
- Neurological conditions
- Risk of developing Muscle or Joint problems due to limited movement opportunities
- Poor cardiovascular function and exercise tolerance
Following referral the client will be fully assessed, appropriate treatment options will be discussed and advice given. There is a strong focus on joint working and goal planning, as it is often important that the advice given is incorporated into a clients daily care plan.
Assessment will be carried out in the most appropriate location for the individual, this may include home visits on occasion. We also have a Health Promotion and Physical Activity planning role when appropriate.