NHS Fife Wheelchair Service User & Carer Group
As part of the National Wheelchair Modernisaton Programme - which aims to improve service delivery and changes to models of service in partnership with patients, carers and other appropriate stakeholders - NHS Fife have convened a 'Wheelchair Service User and Carer Group'.
There are approximately 7500 wheelchair users in Fife.
Dunfermline & West Fife CHP was identified to host the first satellite clinic of the NHS Fife Wheelchair Service-User / Carer Group. The first meeting of this group took place in September 2009. In early 2010, Nick Barber, was nominated Chair of the Group with Pauline Medd as vice chair - both are wheelchair users. Additional Members of this group include NHS Fife staff, voluntary organisations, wheelchair users and carers of wheelchair users.
Initial discussions at this meeting focussed on key areas which would be valuable for the group, including:
- Local Clinics - for assessment and carer assessment
- Review of National Wheelchair Provision Criteria - to feedback response from the group to the national group
- Encourage and support service design changes that will improve the current repair service
- Support the concept of service improvement through building capacity and skills of local clinicians
- Monitor service standards - in particular the performance against the 18 week Referal to Treatment time.
Minutes of this meeting, and subsequent meetings, can be viewed by clicking on the linked page (to the right). The group's Terms of Reference are also available.
If you would like to find out further information about the group, or have an interest in joining the group, please contact Ken Andrew, Mobility & Technology Services Manager, Queen Margaret Hospital, 01383 623623 ext 1455 or by email email@example.com.
More information is available on the national project on the Scottish Government's website: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Health/health/wheelchair