What do we provide?
The service is for people aged 18 and above (no upper age limit) with psychological needs related to physical health problems.
We provide psychological interventions which seek to assist patients to adjust to a physical health condition. We also aim to improve the quality of life and psychological wellbeing of patients struggling to cope with long term health conditions, such as chronic pain and diabetes and acute physical health problems such as cancer.
We offer psychological therapies in the form of group interventions, couples therapy and individual work.
We have psychologists working in specialist areas such as :
- Oncology & Palliative Care services
- The Pain Management service
- Sexual Dysfunction Clinic
- Hepititis C and HIV services in Fife.
- The Rheumatology Service
We also offer a general health psychology service where we see patients with a range of physical health conditions, such as cardiac problems, renal problems, long term respiratory conditions and diabetes.
Other services we offer:
- Psychological assessment before some types of surgery.
- Involvement in specific projects aimed at Health Improvement and Prevention, such as Keep Well, Looked After Young People Project, Safe Drive Stay Alive Project
- Research to improve health psychology services.
- Consultancy and supervision is provided to other health staff, nursing homes and other services.
- Teaching, training and placement experiences are provided for the Edinburgh University Doctorate in Clinical Psychology training course, the Msc in Health Psychology Course and the undergraduate medical degree courses, both based at St Andrews University, Fife.
Where will I be seen?
Clinics are held in several hospital and clinic locations around Fife. Some patients are seen as inpatients and under specific circumstances at home. The office base for this service is at the Clincal Psychology Department, Stratheden Hospital, Springfield, Cupar, Fife (Tel. 01334 696336).
How can I be referred?
Most referrals are made by GPs and hospital medical consultants. You can also be referred by Health Visitors and other agencies involved in your care (with GP agreement).
For more information contactNHS Fife, Switchboard
Tel: 01592 643355
By Post: NHS Fife, Hayfield House Hayfield Road Kirkcaldy Fife KY2 5AH