Cinema licence

If you use any premises, including land and open space, for film exhibitions, you may require a licence from Fife Council.

You must comply with any conditions attached to a licence particularly where these apply to safety and health for the public.

A Cinema licence is not required in all circumstances. Please contact the licensing team or your own advisers for more information.

Click here for a link to the main licensing legislation

How to Apply

To apply for a cinema licence, click on the link at the bottom of this page.

An application fee is be payable.

Applications must:
  • be in writing (including by electronic means)
  • be signed by the applicant (including by electronic means)
  • contain the applicant's name and address
  • the address of the premises or place where the film will be shown

Fife Council will:
  • send a copy of the application to Police Scotland (Fife Division)
  • send a copy of the application to The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service
  • send a copy of the application to the Council’s Environmental Services
  • send a copy of the application to the Council’s Building Standards and Safety Service

For further information, please see the attached publication, Guidance Notes – Cinema licence

Tacit Consent will not apply as it is in the public interest that the Council processes your application. At least 28 days notice is required for this process to be completed.

Failed Application Redress

Please contact Fife Council if you wish to find out why your application was refused.

You may appeal to the Sheriff against the decision.




Regulation Team
Tel: 03451 55 11 77 Contact Regulation Team online
By Post: Fife House North Street Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LT
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.