Knife dealer's licence
A Knife Dealers licence is required for anyone carrying on business as a dealer of the following non-domestic articles
- knives (other than folding pocket knives where blades do not exceed 3.5 inches (8.91cms) in length or knives designed for domestic use)
- daggers other than kirpans or skean dhus whose blades do not exceed 3.5 inches (8.91cms) in length
- knife blades (other than those designed for domestic use)
- Any other article which has a blade or is sharply pointed.
“Domestic” is defined in dictionaries as “of or related to the home; of or related to activities normally associated with the home, wherever they actually occur”.
A “dealer” is defined in dictionaries as “a person carrying on a business which consists wholly or partly of selling, hiring, offering for sale or hire, exposing for sale or hire, lending or giving to persons”.
Further details on the legislation governing this type of licence can be found by clicking on the Useful Links below - Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.
For more information on
- how to submit an application
- the documentation and fee required
- the application process
- the time it takes to process your application
- the standard conditions attached to a Knife Dealer’s licence
please refer to the “application pack” publication below
Tel: 03451 55 11 77 Contact Regulation Team online
By Post: Fife House North Street Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LT