Registration for mixing feeding stuffs

Animal feed plays an important part in the food chain and has implications for the composition and quality of products that people eat such as meat, milk and eggs.

The Food Standards Agency Scotland - FSA (takes you to an external website) is responsible for drawing up the rules on the composition and marketing of animal feed as well as improving food safety throughout the food chain. This includes improving hygiene on farms and making sure that our health is not put at risk through what is fed to animals.

Food hygiene legislation applies to farmers, growers and other producers, in many cases for the first time, as part of the 'farm to fork' approach to food safety.

There is a question and answer section available on the FSA website.

You must be registered if you:

  • manufacture animal feed
  • market animal feed
  • import animal feed
  • store animal feed
  • transport animal feed
  • sell co-products of food industry as animal feed
  • carry out on-farm mixing
  • feed food producing animals
  • grow crops to be used as animal feed

The Regulation requires farmers/Producers to carry out a certain amount of record-keeping. Accurate record-keeping is important so that if a feed of food related problem occurs its origins can be quickly identified and it can be handled with the minimal disruption to the business.

No fees are payable.

EU Feed Hygiene Regulation (183/2005

How to Apply

You can apply online using the form to the right of this page.

If you require any further information then please contact us on the details provided.

Public Protection Team (lines open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 55 55 50
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.