Litter prevention - How can your business help?
Litter is waste in the wrong place. Litter can be harmful to people, animals and the environment.
Businesses can help reduce the impact of litter by:
- Where possible reduce the amount or type of packaging on items you sell or buy
- Ask customers if they need a bag, lid, napkin or straw
- Offer incentives for using reusable packaging
Reducing packaging improves business efficiency and saves money!
Cleaning up litter
- Keep the areas around your premises clean. It is your responsibility.
- Provide bins on premises to allow customers to dispose of waste items responsibly
- Carry out litter picks
These voluntary actions aim to reduce the need for the Council to serve litter notices on businesses!
- Engage staff around preventing litter and fly-tipping
- Display information to engage customers – download infographics to display in your premises from here
Businesses are powerful role models and can influence staff and customer behaviour!
Waste Management - Duty of Care
- Commercial waste must be managed, stored and presented correctly so that it does not become litter. For more information on commercial waste presentation visit here
- You must have a waste contract in place to deal with any commercial waste your business produces.
- You must clean up any commercial waste spillages created by your business.
Managing your waste correctly will reduce the likelihood of waste escaping and creating litter!