Private Rented Sector

See all services for Private Rented Sector

To see how Fife Council uses your personal information, please follow the following link.


Fife Council’s Housing Service works on a range of services for private tenants, landlords and homeowners.

We maintain the Scottish Governments register of private landlords, something all landlords must sign up to, as well as advising you on your requirements as a landlord.

You can get more information on the what landlords must do under the law and your rights as a tenant on the RentingScotland website at:  The Scottish Governments website also contains valuable information on Private Renting and contains information on the current Strategy for the Scottish Private Rented Sector and this can be accessed by visiting the Scotgov website.

Please see our advice section where you will find landlord guides on various subjects.

If you are thinking of letting your home, it’s important that you are aware of your legal rights and obligations. One of the first things you need to do is register as a landlord (takes you to an external website).

You also need to think about whether you are going to rent your property to one tenant or a group of tenants. If you are planning to let your property out to more than three unrelated tenants, you must have a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence.

Are you having problems with your landlord? if so, please see landlord and tenant advice section.


HMO Licensing Department
Tel: 01592 583162 Contact HMO Licensing Department online
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.